Gfx World
Welcome to Gfx World.
Gfx World
Welcome to Gfx World.
Gfx World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphic Design forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nuckleheadninja
Gfx moderator
nuckleheadninja

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) Empty
PostSubject: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Well i dont have a template, just boring text and layer by layer imaging, sorry. But this'll teach you a few filters, and it can have a nice outcome if done well. MAY be compatable with p.s, i havent tried it though.

Outcome: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) 15ev3nk

Its my first tut, so probably not going to be perfect whatsoever. Im too lazy to do the whole bg and awesome txt stuff, so i will be posting layer by layer with captions via s-b! NOTE: this IS very NOOB level not suggested for beginners. Also, yes it tends to come out plain, but its not supposed to be fancy, just something simple and if done right can be pretty nice:amused

-1: Paste in a nice sized (generally a city, or inanimate) stock, and crop it to the size you want your sig. duplicate it twice via the layers box (Ctrl+L) and hid one under the original, and put the other one to overlay. I will use this:

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) S1nnud
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-2: Select the overlay layer from your layers box, make your FG red, and BG yellow. Then go to colors>map>gradient map. It should look somewhat like this:

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) 2ue6x4p
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-3: Copy Visible (edit>copy-visible) and paste as a new layer. Now select your original stock layer, and select a bright color from the layer as your BG color, and a darker version of that color as the FG. Then go to your copy visible layer, duplicate it once, Do a gradient map following the previous steps, and set the layer to "screen" Now it should be much, much brighter. like this:

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) Erbcj4
-4: Add some text where there isnt much going on. I used BlippoblaD, its a default on gimp. I did this:

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) 1z64eok
-5: copy visible, and duplicate it once, leave the original alone, but lower the opacity of the duplication to around 30-40%, and offset it by a few pixels where it looks nice.

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) 308cdbb
-6: Duplicate the layer that is selected, (the one you just dis-placed) and move it twice as many pixels in the opposite direction as before (or just how it looks nice)

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) 2d8jsev
-7 Optional: Adding a border, and maybe a few of these gradient maps, and messing with the brightness and contrast is really useful imo. But its not necessary, or suggested unless you know what your doing.

THANKS FOR READING!!!!
I would like results and feedback on what to improve please:amused
Back to top Go down
sinjidx
Global Moderator
sinjidx

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Text look weird
Back to top Go down
Master.Obi-1
Master.Obi-1

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Thnx Nuck. Its really helpfull. And best of all its a gimp tut.
Back to top Go down
haroldcore
Admin
haroldcore

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm

i would recommmend that in the last step where it makes the siggy blurry to lower the opacity because it's way to blurry. but thanks for the constribution man!!!
Back to top Go down
https://gfxworld.forumotion.co.uk
nuckleheadninja
Gfx moderator
nuckleheadninja

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Thats what the style is meant to do, most people dont like it, but i do. the tut wasn't really about the outcome, more than less it teaches the power of gradient maps, and layer-play. Thats why its for more noob gfxers

~AFK eating dinner now... I gotz burger kingz What a Face
Back to top Go down
haroldcore
Admin
haroldcore

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:20 pm

lol okay. i'm just saying it doesn't look good the blurry outcome. it's just my opinion tho
Back to top Go down
https://gfxworld.forumotion.co.uk
Master.Obi-1
Master.Obi-1

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Ya Harold is right. Reduce the opacity a little. Also the text could be better.
Back to top Go down
Icy-GFX
Global Moderator
Icy-GFX

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:41 pm

I agree with cmoplete beginners
~Icy
Back to top Go down
http://naruto-boards.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)   [GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners) Empty

Back to top Go down

[GIMP] Super Noob Tut (for complete beginners)
Page 1 of 1